Toyota’s safety record has taken a hit since a Japanese automobile accident killed the father of the company’s head of safety, an expert has said.

“In the past, Japanese automakers have been pretty good at safety,” said Takao Nishida, head of the Japan Automobile Federation.

“But this accident happened very, very quickly.

We need to learn from it.”

The Toyota plant in Japan’s prefectural capital, Tokyo, was the site of a fatal accident in 2014 that left an elderly man and his son dead.

The man, Akihiro Matsumoto, 70, was a member of the factory’s executive committee and had worked at Toyota since 1982.

The company said the accident was due to a malfunctioning electronic control unit that was being used in an “inert” position, and that Mr Matsumotos was killed instantly.

It has since said that the malfunction was caused by a fault with a separate computer that the company had installed, but Mr Nishida said that was not the cause of the accident.

Toyota has now acknowledged that the problem was the faulty control unit, but insisted it had been installed by accident and not due to faulty wiring.

In the past decade, Mr Nishido has written extensively on Japanese safety.

Last year, he and his colleagues at the Toyota Safety Institute published a report on the Toyota plant, called Toyota Autonomous Vehicles and Safety: A Comprehensive Assessment.

They found that the accident happened because Toyota did not do enough to protect workers.

The report found that it took just over two weeks for the system to be removed from the vehicle, after which the worker could not be brought to safety.

The institute said that while Toyota did take steps to address the problem, those measures did not protect the safety of the workers or prevent the accident from happening again.

“There is no way Toyota can be a safe manufacturer,” Mr Nishid said.

He said the safety standards had improved in recent years and that Toyota had adopted safety practices in areas such as the installation of sensors, maintenance of equipment, and the use of emergency equipment.

“We now have all the necessary tools and training to prevent future accidents,” he said.

Mr Nishig said that since the accident, Toyota has introduced an overhaul of its safety system.

It now has five independent safety committees, a steering committee that advises the board of directors on safety and other safety measures, and a safety committee that reviews its safety record.

The Toyota Safety Council, which is made up of members of the board, is now made up entirely of Toyota executives.

The new system has also made the automaker a little more visible in the industry.

Last week, Toyota announced a “Made in Japan” campaign, in which the company will display the name of the Japanese automaker on its website, as well as on its cars and trucks.

Mr Matsuneda was one of the few Japanese officials to attend Mr Nishimoto’s funeral, which was held in central Tokyo on Wednesday.

“I think he was very, really saddened by what happened and felt sorry for the family, but also felt very happy,” Mr Matsumiya said.

Toyota is now seeking to improve safety at its other plants in the US and Canada, including a $5 billion effort to make more autonomous vehicles.

But it has been hit hard by recent crashes, including one in California last month in which a Tesla Model S drove over a pole and slammed into a fence, killing an eight-year-old girl.